Chicken Tortilla Soup
Just a quick post here today (with a quick photo to match — because obviously eating this soup was much more important than taking pictures!)
Back when I lived in rural Arkansas, there was one good restaurant in town — a Mexican restaurant called El Rio Lindo. I only ever ordered one of two things there: chicken tacos, or chicken tortilla soup. The soup wasn’t even on their menu, but it was legendary for it’s deliciousness. And any time anyone mentioned feeling sick, they were immediately prescribed a bowl of chicken tortilla soup.
Since I can’t have Rio’s soup anymore, I decided I must make my own. Plus, it actually felt like fall here in Texas last week! Unfortunately, it was the nasty kind of fall weather — cold & rainy — but whatever. It was soup weather, so I was going to have soup.
Eating soup at any restaurant now is out of the question for me, since inevitably it’s full of garlic & onion (and a stomachache — definitely not the desired result when eating soup). Fortunately, I found this chicken broth that doesn’t have any low FODMAP ingredients! And luckily for me and for you, this soup is incredibly easy & quick to make! Well I mean, if you wanted to, you could cook it for a long time and I’m sure it would taste even better. Or, you can throw everything in a pot until the chicken and pasta are cooked, declare it done, and devour it. Just saying…
So what are we waiting for? Let’s eat some soup!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 clove garlic
- olive oil
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth concentrate
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons each cumin, chill powder, & paprika
- dash each cayenne, ginger, red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- ¼ - ½ jalapeño pepper
- ½ - ¾ pounds chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- A couple handfuls gluten free pasta I’ a fan of Trader Joe’s Quinoa Fusilli; for this I used these Brown Rice Tinkyada shells which I found at Whole Foods.)
- Lime juice
- Avocado cut into slices
- Tortilla chips
- Goat cheese crumbled
- In a medium to large pot, heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Crush a head of garlic with the flat side of a knife, peel it, and add to the pot. Cut a medium carrot and cook it with the garlic until carrot is slightly soft and garlic is fragrant.
- Remove the garlic (the FODMAPs in garlic are not oil soluble but they are water soluble, so essentially you’re getting the garlic flavor without the stomachache here). Add water (start with less and add more if you need) and the chicken broth if using. Add the spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, ginger, pepper flakes, salt & pepper), and the jalapeño. Bring water to a boil.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and add to the soup, along with pasta. Taste the broth and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Boil the soup on medium until chicken is cooked and pasta is soft, 15-20 minutes. Taste again and adjust seasonings.
- Divide into bowls and top with a squirt of lime juice, a few slices of avocado, cilantro leaves, crumbled goat cheese, and tortilla chips.
You might also like
If you follow me on instagram, it may seem like the only thing I’ve been eating for the past few weeks is summer veggies. And really, that’s not too far off…
PIZZAAAAAAAA! Y’all should know by now that pizza is my love language. I think I’ve posted more pictures of pizza to Instagram than anything else. (Look, even one of my earliest pictures was of pizza.) …
Today we have a very special guest: my partner in crime (and in life): Marc! When Marc & I first started dating, I was a vegetarian who was terrified of raw meat, and had absolutely no appreciation for a good steak…