Sugar Free Oatmeal
Sugar Free Oatmeal
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ cup milk, plus more as needed (I use lactose free)
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, optional
- 1 banana, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or nut butter
- Dash each cinnamon, turmeric, ginger
- 1-2 scoops protein powder (I use Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides or Phormula-1 Natural)
- 1-2 tablespoons Cocoa powder (optional)
- Nuts or seeds (I like walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds)
- Combine oats and milk in a bowl and microwave. Your cook time may vary, but I microwave for 3 minutes 30 seconds on 50% power. The oats shouldn’t look completely cooked but should be a bit softened.
- In the meantime, cut your banana in half. Slice one half into a small bowl and mash with a fork. After you’ve mashed it into pieces, whisk it around — it will start to get more liquid-y and take on an almost fluffy texture.
- Add the chia seeds and mashed banana to the oats. Stir to make sure everything is incorporated and microwave in 30 seconds increments until the oats are cooked and chia seeds have expanded (I usually do this 2-3 more times). At this point I usually let it sit for a minute while I make my coffee; if it seems like it’s just getting really hot but not cooking you may also need to let it sit.
- Add peanut butter and spices and stir to mix. Add in protein powder. (adding in the fat first helps it dissolve better — no idea why but it works!) Mix everything together and top with nuts, the other half of your banana, and anything else you like!
You might also like
Maybe pumpkin sourdough bread sounds weird (although by now y’all are used to my sourdough escapades, right?), but I promise you it’s not. Somewhere between the flavor and consistency of a quick bread (think banana bread) and an actual loaf of bread, this recipe yields results that are sweet but not too sweet…
So somehow we’ve developed a joke in our family that I’m Polish. Nothing against anybody who is actually Polish, but I am NOT POLISH — I’m half Irish and half Slovak, which is NOT THE SAME, k? I’m sure you can already see how the joke developed…
I began last year by giving up sugar for a month… and I begin this year with a very indulgent cinnamon roll recipe. Forward progress? Irony? Who cares, because these cinnamon rolls are legit delicious.